All American Rice, Wild Mushroom and Cheese Tart
A savory appetizer tart with rice, wild mushrooms and cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe Ingredients:1/2 ounce dried wild mushrooms (shiitake, porcini, etc.)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
4 large eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Fontina cheese, divided use
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Wisconsin Asiago cheese
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 cups cooked rice, cooked in chicken broth
Chopped parsley, optional
- In a small bowl, soak mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water for 20 minutes.
Grease a 9-inch springform pan. To prevent leaking, wrap bottom of pan with an aluminum foil strip; set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat butter; cook onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms from bowl; chop coarsely.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in onion, mushrooms, 1 cup Fontina cheese, 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, parsley and rice. Scrape mixture into prepared pan, smoothing to make an even layer; sprinkle remaining Fontina cheese over top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 40 minutes or until just set; cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil; run the tip of a sharp knife around the edges of tart to release sides from pan. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.