Fritos Vegetable Tempura
with Chile Verde Honey Dipping Sauce
Crispy, tempura-fried vegetables are served with a spicy, honey-sweetened tomatillo, green chile and avocado dipping sauce.
1/2 cup honey
4 cups tomatillos, coarsely chopped
1/4 white onion, coarsely chopped
2 serrano peppers, with stems off
1 whole garlic clove
1 bunch cilantro
2 limes, juiced
1 whole avocado
Salt and white pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup tempura flour
1/2 cup ice cubes
6 oyster mushrooms
6 thick slices each yellow and green zucchini, about 1/4-inch thick
6 wedges red bell pepper
6 scallions (green onions)
6 wedges ripe firm avocado
- In a blender, combine the honey, tomatillos, onion, serranos, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, avocado and salt and pepper. Pulse until a smooth sauce develops adding a little water if too thick.
- Heat a deep-fat fryer or large cooking pot with frying oil to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix the water, tempura flour and ice together.
- With a set of tongs dredge each vegetable through the tempura, shaking off any excess batter. Gently drop each vegetable into the oil cooking and fry each piece until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange vegetables on a serving platter with bowls of the Honey Chile Verde Sauce.
Makes 6 appetizer servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Honey Board.