Glazed Sausage Squares
Sweet, spicy and savory are the key flavor notes of these easy appetizers that are perfect for a large gathering. This dish can be made ahead and reheated.
2 pounds lean ground pork
12 ounces pork breakfast sausage
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup apple jelly
1/3 cup apple chutney
- Heat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, salt, mustard, coriander, allspice, pepper, onion and garlic; stir in bread crumbs, pork and sausage until well blended. Press mixture evenly into an ungreased 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until meat is firm and brown around edges. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Holding meat with a large spatula, tip pan to drain off fat.
- In small pan, heat jelly and chutney until melted; spread over surface of meat.
- Cut meat into 1-inch square.
- Serve warm or refrigerate as long as 2 days; then reheat, uncovered, in a 400°F (205°C) oven just until hot, about 8 minutes.
Makes about 72 squares.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.