Gouda-Chorizo Medjool Dates
Serve these bacon-wrapped, gouda and chorizo stuffed dates warm or at room temperature.
3 to 4 ounces Wisconsin Gouda Cheese*
2 to 3 ounces Spanish chorizo sausage
8 large pitted Medjool dates, pitted and halved lengthwise
4 to 6 strips excellent quality bacon, preferably applewood smoked
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut cheese into "matchsticks," about 1-inch long by 1/4-inch. Cut chorizo into 16 strips. Stuff date halves with 1 or two strips of cheese and 1 strip of chorizo.
- Cover sheet pan with foil. Set date halves on sheet.
- Cut bacon into 1 1/2-inch squares or rectangles and place one on each date half.
- Broil about 4 to 6 inches from broiler burner, turning pan to promote even cooking. Broil until bacon is cooked and crisp at edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Watch carefully.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 16 appetizer servings.
*Or use an earthy-flavored, Wisconsin cheese, such as Crave Brothers Les Frères, BelGioioso Italico or Limburger.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.