"Inside-Out" Grilled Cheese with Red Onion Jam
Chef Todd Downs takes the grilled cheese sandwich to soaring heights both in taste and presentation.
Red Onion Jam:
2 red onions, peeled and cut in very thin, match-sized strips
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup grenadine syrup
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
12 slices seeded, whole-grain bread, such as sunflower seed, 2 x 2-inches square and 1/8 inch thick, crusts removed
6 tablespoons butter, melted
24 slices queso blanco or queso blanco con frutas cheese, 2 x 2-inches square and 1/4 inch thick
- For the Red Onion Jam: Sauté the onions in the oil, cooking slowly until wilted, about 20 minutes. Do not brown. Add the remaining jam ingredients. Cook for about 20 minutes, until thickened.
- For the Sandwiches: Brush the bread slices on both sides with the melted butter. Toast until golden brown.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly grill the cheese squares until golden brown on both sides.
- Place twelve of the cheese squares on a cutting board. Top each with a teaspoon of red onion jam and then a slice of the toasted bread. Top the bread with another teaspoon of jam. Top each sandwich with a slice of the remaining cheese. Press the sandwich together.
- If preparing ahead, warm the sandwiches in a 350ºF (175ºC) oven just before serving.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.