Chocolate Chip-Almond Biscotti
Twice baked chocolate chip and almond biscotti are the perfect 'dunkers' for your favorite hot beverage.
3/4 cup whole raw almonds
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons finely grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place almonds on a baking sheet and toast in oven for about 10 minutes or until golden and fragrant. Cool and chop coarsely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F (150°C). Grease and flour a baking sheet; set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, orange peel, vanilla and almond extract. Add to flour mixture, blending well, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Divide dough in half and pat each half into a log about 1-inch thick, 1/2-inches wide, and 12-inches long. Place logs at least 2-inches apart on a greased and floured baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden.
- Reduce oven temperature to 275°F (135°C).
- Cool loaves on wire rack for 5 minutes. Put loaves on a cutting board and, with a serrated knife, slice at a 45 degree angle into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay flat on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden and hard, about 20 to 25 minutes, turning them once. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 40 biscotti.