This nice, basic biscotti is ideal plain or drizzled with bittersweet chocolate. Great with gelato too!
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- On low speed, add coconut. Gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Divide the dough into three equal pieces. If the dough is sticky, dust with additional flour. Form the pieces of dough into loaves about 12-inches long. Place loaves on parchment-lined cookie sheet, spacing them 3-inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from oven.
- Carefully remove loaves, using two metal spatulas, onto wire cooling racks. Cool. Place cooled loaves on a cutting board. Using a large, sharp knife, slice diagonally into 1/2-inch wide slices.
- Return slices to the cookie sheet, in a single layer, and toast for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove cookie sheet from oven. Cool toasted biscotti on wire cooling racks. Store in airtight containers.
Makes 72 biscotti.