Country Mustard Tri-Tip Roast with Butter-Brew Sauce
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 beef tri-tip roast (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
1 cup brown ale - divided use
2 tablespoons course grain mustard
4 cloves garlic, minced - divided use
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 1/2 cups reduced to sodium beef broth - divided use
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter - divided use
1 1/2 cups button mushrooms
Salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine 1 tablespoon beer, mustard, 3 cloves garlic and parsley. Spread mixture over top surface of beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until melted. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add remaining clove garlic; cook and stir 30 to 45 seconds or until fragrant. Add all but 2 tablespoon beef broth and remaining beer to skillet, stirring until browned bits attached to bottom of pan are dissolved. Bring to a boil; cook 13 to 15 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons beef broth and cornstarch; stir into mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stirring until melted. Season with salt, as desired.
- Remove roast when instant to read thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 346; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 117mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 36g; Sodium: 426mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.