Creamy Beef, Mushrooms, and Noodles
Recipe courtesy of the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo.
1 cup (4 ounces) dry no-yolk egg noodles
1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
1/4 cup dry sherry (or 1/4 cup water and 1 to 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar)
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, or to taste
3 teaspoons canola oil - divided use
3/4 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, very thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any salt or fat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together canola mayonnaise, sherry, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt skillet to coat bottom lightly. Cook beef 3 minutes and set aside on a separate plate.
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil, add onions, and cook 5 minutes or until just beginning to richly brown, stirring frequently.
- Scrape onions to one side of the skillet, add remaining 1 teaspoon canola oil, and add mushrooms. Cook 4 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown on the edges, stirring frequently.
- Return beef and any accumulated juices to vegetable mixture in skillet. Cook 30 seconds or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and stir in canola mayonnaise mixture until well blended. Serve over drained noodles. Sprinkle with additional black pepper, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe; 3/4 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup noodles): Calories: 320; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 30mg; Total Carbs: 27g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 23g; Sodium: 615mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil" from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo.