A splash of red wine makes this elegant dish rich. And, don't forget the bread for soaking up any leftover sauce!
2 pounds chuck steak, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups sliced carrots
1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 bay leaf
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
Hot cooked noodles for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a Dutch oven or deep baking dish, toss steak with flour. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, tomatoes, wine, soup mix and bay leaf.
- Bake, covered with ovenproof lid or aluminum foil, for 1 1/2 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Add mushrooms and bake, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve beef over noodles.
Makes 8 servings.