Three-Pepper Tenderloin Roast with Mushroom and Leek Barley
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 (2 to 3-pound) center-cut beef tenderloin roast
1 tablespoon coarsely ground mixed peppercorns (black, white, green and pink)
1 pound cremini or white button mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, cut in half lengthwise then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 cup uncooked quick to cooking barley
2 1/2 cups reduced to sodium beef broth
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries or cherries
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Press peppercorns evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Combine mushrooms, leek and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil; toss to coat. Arrange vegetables in single layer on rimmed baking sheet.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast beef in 425°F (220°C) oven 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 45 to 50 minutes for medium doneness. Roast vegetables 35 to 40 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in 3-quart saucepan until hot. Add barley and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add broth and dried cranberries or cherries; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer; covered, 10 to 12 minutes or until barley is tender. Keep warm.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Stir mushrooms and leeks into barley mixture. Carve roast into slices. Season barley and beef with salt, as desired. Serve with barley.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe; 6 ounces): Calories: 692; Total Fat: 21g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 141mg; Total Carbs: 66g; Fiber: 10g; Protein: 58g; Sodium: 401mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.