Horchata is a traditional beverage made with nuts or grains popular throughout Spain and Mexico.
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 packets Starbucks VIA
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Soak the rice in the water for a minimum of one hour (overnight works, too).
- Place rice, soaking water, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, and VIA in a blender for 2 minutes.
- Strain into a pitcher, add milk and chill completely (overnight is fine).
- When ready to serve, pour into serving pitcher leaving sediment behind. Stir in orange zest.
Makes 8 servings.
- Glasses can be garnished with a twist of orange rind.
- This recipe is also delicious prepared with chocolate milk.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Starbucks.com/VIA; through ARA Content.