Strawberry Rhubarb Parfloat
Recipe courtesy of California Strawberry Commission.
2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 5-inch pieces
2 cups granulated sugar
3 cups milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon vitamin C powder
3/4 cup Thai or Italian basil leaves, loosely packed
1/2 pound fresh California strawberries, stemmed and diced
Sugar, as needed
1 1/2 pints vanilla extract bean ice cream
1 1/2 cups seltzer
6 basil sprigs
- To Make Rhubarb Syrup: In heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat rhubarb and sugar with 2 tablespoon water over low heat, covered, about 10 minutes or until rhubarb is soft, stirring occasionally. Strain syrup through fine strainer or colander lined with cheesecloth. Refrigerate.
- To Make Orange Milk: Remove zest (orange part of skin) from oranges with vegetable peeler. In saucepan, heat milk and zest to just below boil; remove from heat and steep, covered, 1 hour. Strain; add sugar. Refrigerate.
- To Make Basil Syrup: In saucepan, simmer sugar, corn syrup and vitamin C with 1/2 cup water until slightly thickened. Cool. In blender, purée syrup with basil and pinch of salt; strain through fine strainer. Refrigerate.
- Sweeten strawberries with sugar to taste. For each serving, in chilled 16-ounce glass, layer 1/4 cup Rhubarb Syrup, 2 tablespoons Diced Strawberries, 2 (1/4-cup) scoops ice cream, 1/2 cup Orange Milk, and 2
- more tablespoons Diced Strawberries. Add 1/4 cup seltzer; drizzle with 2 tablespoons Basil Syrup. Garnish with 1 basil sprig.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 665; Total Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 41mg; Total Carbs: 138g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 8g; Sodium: 109mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. Used with permission.