Banana Bread with Chocolate Drizzle
This incredible banana bread is moist, flavorful and luxuriously drizzled with chocolate. Yet, it has a fraction of the calories, saturated fat and cholesterol of most banana bread recipes thanks to the use of canola oil, yogurt and whole-grain flour. Taste it and be amazed.
Recipe by Ellie Krieger, a best-selling author and renowned registered dietitian.
Canola oil cooking spray
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large, very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 teaspoon 1% low-fat milk, plus more if needed
1/2 ounce dark chocolate (60 to 70% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with canola oil cooking spray.
- For Banana Bread: In large bowl, whisk together flours, sugars, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In medium bowl, whisk together canola oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla, then whisk in mashed banana to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Allow to cool, then transfer bread out of pan onto plate.
- For Chocolate Drizzle: In small saucepan, combine powdered sugar and milk. Cook over low heat, stirring until combined. Add chocolate and cook until just melted, stirring continuously, about 1 minute.
- Drizzle chocolate over top of banana bread. Allow chocolate to cool and set, then slice and serve.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe; a 3/4-inch thick slice): Calories 230; Total Fat 7g; Saturated Fat 1g; Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 230mg; Carbohydrates 39g; Fiber 3g; Protein 4g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.