California Raisin Beignets with Créme Anglaise
Recipe courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup whole milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vegetable oil, for frying
1 cup California raisins, chopped
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
4 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
- For Créme Anglaise: In 2-quart saucepan, heat cream and milk over medium heat just to simmer.
- Meanwhile, in medium-sized mixing bowl, combine sugar and egg yolks; beat until well blended and pale yellow in color.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of hot cream mixture over beaten egg mixture and whisk to blend well.
- Return saucepan with remaining cream mixture to heat and add egg mixture. Cook, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until mixture thickens and coats back of the spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain through fine mesh sieve into clean bowl. Stir in vanilla. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
- For Beignets: In a deep fat fryer or deep frying pan, heat oil to 375°F (190°C).
- While oil is heating, combine raisins, sugar, eggs, melted butter, milk and vanilla in medium mixing bowl; mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix until well blended. Slowly pour raisin mixture into dry ingredients and mix with a wire whisk just until combined. Do not over mix.
- With a (1-ounce) scoop or tablespoon, portion and drop batter into hot oil. Cook, turning often, until golden brown, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and serve piping hot with créme anglaise spooned over.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 beignet, 1 1/2 tablespoons créme anglaise): Calories: 200; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 100mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 27g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 65mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.