Carole's White Bread
Carole's recipe for white bread is a keeper.
1/2 cup warm water
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoonsactive dry yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
7 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon milk
- Combine warm water, yeast, and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile scald milk (cook until bubbles form just around the edges). Pour into a bowl and stir in salt, shortening and sugar. Blend until dissolved. Stir in flour, then the yeast mixture then add up to 7 cups of flour, kneading until smooth. Place in a lightly greased bowl and allow to rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease 2 loaf pans.
- Punch down and shape into loaves. Allow to rise again until doubled.
- Brush the top with milk and bake bread for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 30 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.
Makes 2 loaves.