Cottage Cheese Butter Horns
These delicious buttery rolls are wonderful served warm with or without the glaze.
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Creamy Glaze (Optional):
1/3 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla or lemon extract
2 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- For Butter Horns: Cream all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Allow to sit at room temperature until easy to handle.
- Roll each into a 10-inch diameter circle. Cut each circle into 12 pie-shaped pieces. Roll up each piece, starting with wide end. Place on lightly buttered baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Serve plain or frost with Creamy Glaze.
- For Creamy Glaze: Melt butter in small saucepan. Blend in sugar and flavoring. Stir in water one tablespoon at a time until glaze is of proper consistency.
Makes 36 butter horns.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.