Dilly Casserole Bread
Moist and chewy on the inside, crusty on the outside, dill and onion-flavored yeast bread baked in a round casserole dish.
2 to 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour - divided use
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons instant minced onion
2 teaspoons dill seed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 (.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup small curd creamed cottage cheese
1 large egg
2 teaspoons melted butter
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, if desired
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, onion, dill seed, 1 teaspoon salt, baking soda and yeast; mix well.
- In small saucepan, heat water, 1 tablespoon butter and cottage cheese until very warm (120 to 130°F / 50 to 55°C). Add warm liquid and egg to flour mixture; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, stir in remaining 1 to 1 2/3 cups flour to form a stiff batter.
Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Generously grease 1 1/2 or 2-quart casserole. Stir down batter to remove all air bubbles. Turn batter into greased casserole. Cover; let rise in warm
place until light and doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Uncover dough. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until loaf is deep golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped. If necessary, cover with foil to prevent excessive browning. Immediately remove from casserole; place on wire rack. Brush warm loaf with melted butter; sprinkle with coarse salt. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
Makes 1 loaf.