All the flavors of the fall and winter holidays are wrapped up in these tasty muffins. Try one to get you in the mood for that last minute gift-wrapping marathon.
1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons rum
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground California pistachios
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 cup chopped California pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat butter with sugar and vanilla until creamy and light-colored. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in milk and rum.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, ground pistachios, baking powder, salt, spices and lemon peel. Add this mixture to the butter-sugar mixture just until blended (don’t overmix). Lightly fold in 1/4 cup chopped pistachios.
- Grease 12 muffin cups or line cups with muffin papers. Evenly portion batter into cups. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chopped pistachios.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
Makes 12 muffins.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Pistachio Commission.