Recipe courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.
2 large potatoes shredded or 2 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup warm milk
4 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup butter
4 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup dry powdered milk
4 large eggs, beaten
6 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- If using raw potatoes, shred the two potatoes and cook in 2/3 cup water until soft-about 5 minutes Reserve the remaining water to add to yeast in step 3. Mash cooked potatoes, and let cool. Or you may simply use any leftover mashed potatoes.
- Mix butter, salt, brown sugar, packed, and dry milk, and add beaten eggs. Set aside.
- Mix yeast with brown sugar, packed and water.
- Add yeast mixture to egg and butter mixture, then add the mashed potatoes, and flour.
- Knead mixture well, let rise 1 hour punch down dough, then form into loaves, and let rise again.
- Bake 375°F (190°C) for 1 hour.
Makes 2 loaves; 20 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.