Seasoned Bread Circle
A savory, pull-apart yeast bread seasoned with Italian spices and assorted seeds.
1 cup lowfat milk
2 tablespoons margarine
4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
vegetable cooking spray
1/4 cup sesame, poppy, caraway and/or celery seed
- Heat milk and margarine in small saucepan until hot but not boiling. Meanwhile, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl. Gradually add milk mixture and egg to dry ingredients and beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes at medium speed, scarping bowl occasionally. Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour and mix in with hands to form soft dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes. Additional flour may be needed. Cover and let rise in warm place for 20 minutes.
- Spray 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray.
- Punch down dough and divide into 30 pieces.
- Mix seeds in small bowl.
- Roll each dough piece into smooth balls, spray with vegetable cooking spray and roll in seeds (or put seeds in a ziploc bag, spray 4 balls at a time and shake in bag).
- Arrange balls around pan in layers, lightly pressing each in. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours*. Remove from refrigerator, uncover dough and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 35 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until brown. Cool and slice or just pull individual balls off.
Makes 1 round loaf.
*To Bake Immediately: Once bread is formed, cover pan and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Bake as directed.