Scrumptious oat muffins laced with toasted walnuts and topped with a sparkling crown of coarse raw sugar and cinnamon.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teasoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup turbinado (raw) sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- For muffins, in a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt; make a well in the center; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine milk, oil and egg, mixing well. Pour into well of flour mixture and stir ingredients together until just moistened. Fold in walnuts, if using.
- In a small cup mix the turbinado sugar with the cinnamon; set aside.
- Fill prepared muffin tin 2/3 full with muffin batter. Sprinkle topping mixture over muffins. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffins test done. Serve muffins warm.
Makes 12 muffins.