Sweet Little Nut Pinwheels
These delicious, lemon-kissed pinwheel treats are loaded with a sweet nutty filling. A wonderful addition to afternoon tea.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sour cream
3 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 cup finely ground nuts
1 cup granulated sugar
- Mix together flour, butter, sour cream, egg yolks, lemon peel, half the vanilla and yeast until a dough is formed. (If using an electric mixer, use the paddle attachment until dough begins to form, then switch to the dough hook.) or knead with your hands if needed. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites to form soft peaks. Fold in nuts, sugar and remaining vanilla; set aside.
- Once dough has rested, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4-inch thick and shape into a large rectangle. Spread nut filling over entire surface and roll up jelly roll style. Cut into 1/2-inch slices to make pinwheels; place on cookie sheet cut-side down.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
Makes 36 pinwheels.