Swirl Easter Bread
Easy to make using ready-made bread dough, this treat makes a great Easter morning breakfast or a delicious dessert.
1 cup natural California pistachios, finely chopped in food processor or blender
1 large egg
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed until soft and puffy
1 large egg white, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1 cup powdered sugar
4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice
Extra chopped pistachios for garnish
- Mix pistachios with egg, sugar, butter, orange peel, vanilla and salt; set aside.
- Roll out dough on floured board to 12 x 9-inch rectangle (dough will feel elastic and want to pull back).
- Spread pistachio mixture onto rectangle, leaving 1/2-inch border at edges. Roll up dough, starting from long side. Transfer to oiled, 12-inch pizza pan. Carefully shape into ring, then seal ends together, wetting dough with water if necessary. With kitchen shears or knife, snip into or slice dough ring at 3/4 to 1-inch intervals, cutting from outside edge toward center but not quite all the way through. Gently pull apart and turn each slice to face up. Brush ring with egg wash.
- Place in warm place for 30 to 60 minutes to let rise until soft and puffy.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C); bake for 17 minutes or until golden, covering loosely with foil if it begins to get too brown. Cool; drizzle with glaze.
- For Glaze: Mix powdered sugar with enough lemon juice until glaze is the right consistency for drizzling.
- Garnish with extra chopped pistachios.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Pistachio Commission.