Tunnel of Cheese Muffins with Bacon
Warm, melty cheese is nestled in the center of these quick-mix muffins with bits of crisp-cooked bacon in every bite.
2 cups biscuit mix
5 slices bacon, fried crisp, drained and crumbled
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
12 (1/2-inch cubes) of Wisconsin Emmentaler Swiss Cheese or Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Generously butter a 12-muffin pan. Set aside.
- Stir biscuit mix and bacon together in medium bowl. Add milk and egg, stirring just until blended.
- Divide half the batter among the 12 muffin cups.
- Place 1 cube of cheese in the center of each.
- Top with remaining batter, spreading to cover cheese completely.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until golden. Serve hot.
Makes 12 muffins.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.