Apple Pecan Pancakes
These pancakes are thick, light and airy because the egg whites are beaten separately and folded into the batter.
1 all-purpose cup flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
2 large eggs, separated - egg whites beaten until stiff
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup apples, peeled and chopped fine
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and
cinnamon in mixing bowl.
- Beat egg yolks in separate bowl; stir in milk and vanilla.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Heat greased griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375°F (190°C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.
- For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed, bubbly and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.
Makes 10 (4-inch) pancakes.