Baked Sausage and Creamy White Cheddar Grits
Recipe courtesy of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council.
Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound breakfast or bulk sausage, spicy flavor preferred
1 large red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed and chopped
2 1/2 cups cold water
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking grits
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
6 ounces white sharp cheddar cheese, shredded - divided use
2 large eggs, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 11x7-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large heavy nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking up sausage into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink. Drain on clean paper towels.
- Drain all but 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of pan drippings. Add red peppers to skillet and cook until soft.
- In a separate heavy saucepan, bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Immediately reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.
- Add mustard, thyme and 1 cup cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Cool slightly and fold in sausage and red pepper. Stir in beaten eggs. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until light golden brown. Grits should be firm and set in the center.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 9 servings.
Tip: This dish is especially nice served with peach mango fruit salsa.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council.