These hearty buttermilk buckwheat waffles are wonderful topped with fresh sliced strawberries and maple syrup.
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
Sliced fresh strawberries for accompaniment (optional)
- Heat waffle iron.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In large mixing bowl, beat eggs until fluffy. Add buttermilk and butter, mixing well.
- Stir in dry ingredients until just blended.
- Pour batter from cup or pitcher onto center of hot waffle iron. Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops. Remove waffle carefully.
- Serve with sliced fresh strawberries and maple syrup as desired.
Makes 6 to 8 waffles.