Black Pepper Gouda, Bacon
and Leek Pancake
Recipe courtesy Fromagination Cheese Shop, Madison, Wisconsin.
8 slices applewood-smoked bacon, preferably Nueske's
2 large leeks (white and light green parts only), coarsely chopped
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup (about 4 ounces) Holland's Family Farm Foenegreek and Black Pepper Gouda, shredded and firmly packed
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a heavy, 10-inch, nonstick ovenproof skillet, fry bacon over medium high heat until brown and crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Crumble bacon. Reserve.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings from skillet. Add leeks to skillet and sauté over medium heat until tender and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine eggs, milk, flour, mustard and sugar in food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scatter bacon over leeks in skillet. Pour egg mixture over evenly. Sprinkle the shredded Gouda overall. Transfer to oven; bake until pancake puffs and cheese melts, about 15 minutes. Loosen pancake edges from skillet, cut in wedges and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.