Hearty Potato and Egg Skillet
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups peeled and thinly sliced potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cups lean cooked ham, sliced into julienne strips (or cooked, crumbled bacon or sausage)
6 large eggs, beaten
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and evenly spread half of potato slices over the bottom of skillet forming a layer. Sprinkle with salt and ground black pepper.
- Top with half of onion and green pepper. Place half the meat on top and repeat all the layers and seasonings.
- Cover. Cook over low heat until potatoes are fork tender or for about 20 minutes.
- Pour beaten eggs on top of vegetables and meat. Cover. Continue cooking until no visible liquid egg remains, or about 10 minutes; remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese melts, or about 2 to 3 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 340; Calories From Fat: 160; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 250mg; Total Carbs: 23g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 21g; Sodium: 1050mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.