A cheesy, green onion, mushroom and sausage breakfast casserole.
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 1/3 cups chopped green onions
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds sausage
12 slices of white bread
2 tablespoons butter, softened
4 cups (1 pound) shredded cheddar cheese
5 large eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon prepared brown mustard
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a skillet, sauté sliced mushrooms and chopped green onions in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brown sausage in another skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain.
- Spread slices of white bread with softened butter; trim the crusts.
- Layer the bread, the mushroom mixture, the sausage, and shredded cheddar cheese in a greased baking dish.
- Combine eggs, milk, prepared brown mustard, dry mustard, and nutmeg; beat well. Pour over the bread mixture and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour.
Makes 12 servings.