Carrot Spice Cake
A moist and wholesome, honey-sweetened carrot spice cake laden with plump golden raisins and nuts.
2 cups finely grated carrots
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
1 cup honey
2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 12x8x2-inch pan; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine carrots, raisins, nuts, orange juice and vanilla, set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Beat in honey in fine stream until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with carrot mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 35 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn onto wire cake rack.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.