Chocolate Chip & Cherry Mini Cakes
Create a sensation with these mini chocolate cakes laced with chocolate chips and glazed with cherry preserves. Serve with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) jar cherry preserves
Vanilla ice cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease 12 medium muffin cups with vegetable shortening.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl, mixing well.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl, mixing well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not over mix.)
- Fill muffin cups half full. Spoon 1 teaspoon cherry preserves in center of each; top with remaining batter.
- Bake 16 to 19 minutes or until tops of cakes spring back when lightly touched. (Do not over bake.)
- Cool cakes in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat remaining cherry preserves and spoon over cakes.
- Serve cakes with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
Makes 12 mini cakes.