Be sure to give yourself a good head start time-wise, by starting preparation several hours ahead or even the day before.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 pound butter
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until creamy.
- Mix the yeast in warm water with the 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. When this mixture thickens, add it to the egg yolks along with the, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and mix well. Slowly add the flour until a soft dough is formed. Stir in the raisins until they are evenly distributed.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until dough is no longer sticky.
- Cover the dough and allow it to rise in a warm place until it doubles.
- Butter a 3-quart pan and shape the dough into it. Allow the dough to rise again for about 2 hours.
- For the topping, cream the sugar, cinnamon and butter, then mix in the egg, milk, and the flour. Coat the top of the dough with the topping and place in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 30 minutes or until done.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes in pan on wire rack before removing. Cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.