Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Be sure to give yourself a good head start
time-wise by starting preparation several hours ahead or even
the day before.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/2 teaspoon granulated
4 large egg yolks
1 (.25-ounce) package active dry yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 pound butter
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter
and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks
- Mix the yeast in warm water with the 1/2
teaspoon of sugar. When this mixture thickens, add it to the
egg yolks along with the, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture to the butter/sugar
mixture and mix well. Slowly add the flour until a soft dough
is formed. Stir in the raisins until they are evenly distributed.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface
and knead until dough is no longer sticky.
- Cover the dough and allow it to rise in
a warm place until it doubles.
- Butter a 3-quart pan and shape the dough
into it. Allow the dough to rise again for about 2 hours.
- For the topping, cream the sugar, cinnamon
and butter, then mix in the egg, milk, and the flour. Coat the
top of the dough with the topping and place in a preheated 350°F
(175°C) oven for 30 minutes or until done. Cool for 10 to
15 minutes in pan on wire rack before removing. Cool completely
on wire rack.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.