Loretta's Pound Cake
"This recipe embraces the true meaning of pound cake, using a pound of butter and powdered sugar and approximately a pound of flour." Submitted by Loretta Pendrak from Cape May NJ.
1 pound butter
1 pound powdered sugar
6 large eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease and flour a tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar a little at a time. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Stir into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C) and bake for and additional 60 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 16 servings.