Punch Bowl Cake
This terrific version of the classic 'Punch Bowl Cake', created by Paula Deen, is from The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook.
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
2 (3.5-ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix (prepared according to instructions on box)
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
6 medium bananas, sliced
2 pints strawberries** (crush one pint, slice one pint, and mix both together)
1 (24-ounce) container frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed*
- Prepare cake mix in two 9-inch round pans according to directions.
- Put one layer of cake in the bottom of a punch bowl.
- Add half of the pudding, half of the pineapple, 3 sliced bananas, half of the strawberries, and half of the whipped topping.
- Put another layer of cake in punch bowl along with remaining pudding, pineapple, bananas, and strawberries.
- Top off with whipped topping and sprinkle strawberry juice on top.
Makes 12 servings.
*Or, beat 1 quart heavy cream with 1 cup granulated sugar until stiff.
**Be sure to reserve some of the strawberry juice to drizzle on top of this yummy dessert.