Upside Down Pineapple Sweet Potato Cake
Here's the best of two American classics. The addition of ginger to the topping and pineapple juice in the cake make this simple dessert extra-special.
1 (20-ounce) can store brand sliced pineapple
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 (14 or 14.5-ounce) package gingerbread cake mix
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sweet potato, peeled and grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Drain pineapple, reserving 3 tablespoons and 1/2 cup juice. Set aside 1 whole pineapple slice; cut 5 slices in half. (Save remainder of pineapple and juice for another use.)
- Place butter in 9 x 2-inch round cake pan in oven until butter is melted.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar, ginger and 3 tablespoons pineapple juice. Pour in pan and tilt to evenly distribute. Place whole pineapple ring in center; arrange half slices in crescents around center. Fill in spaces with dried cranberries.
- In a bowl, combine cake mix (dry), eggs, sweet potato and 1/2 cup pineapple juice. Using a fork, stir vigorously about 2 minutes, scraping sides until well mixed. Spread over pineapple in pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes Invert onto platter, replacing any fruit that remains in pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.