Butter Almond Crunch
Toasted almonds and chocolate chips in crunchy, buttery toffee candy squares.
Ingredients:1 1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
3 1/4 cups almonds, chopped
1 1/2 cups butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
3 tablespoons water
- Spread 1 cup miniature chocolate chips in a buttered 13 x 9-inch pan; set aside.
- Spread chopped almonds in a shallow pan then toast in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 7 minutes, or until golden brown; set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan, blend in sugar, light corn syrup, and water. Cook over medium heat; stirring constantly, to the hard-crack stage, about 300°F (150°C) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in 1 3/4 cups toasted almonds.
- Immediately spread the mixture evenly over the chocolate chips in the prepared pan, being careful not to disturb the chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle with the remaining toasted almonds and miniature chocolate chips.
- Score into 1 1/2-inch squares.
- Cool completely before removing from the pan.
Makes 2 dozen candies.