Milk Chocolate and Almond Fudge
Creamy milk chocolate fudge with toasted chopped almonds in every indulgent bite.
1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
1 (6-ounce) package milk chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut in pieces
3/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- Spread chopped almonds onto a baking sheet and toast in 350°F (175°C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring nuts occasionally, or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Line a 8-inch square baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a large, heatproof bowl, combine chocolates and vanilla; set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan combine sugar, condensed milk, water, cream, and butter and cook over medium low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, cover with a lid briefly to get any sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook to the soft ball stage (240°F | 115°C) or until a small amount dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water.
- Immediately pour hot mixture over the chocolates. Stir quickly with a heavy wooden spoon until the chocolate melts. Stir in the almonds. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing with spatula. Allow to set at room temperature. Invert pan and peel off waxed paper. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Makes 64 (1-inch) squares.