Chicken and Potatoes Au Gratin
Here's a delicious and satisfying twist on a classic layered potato casserole—instead of the typical addition of ham, this dish uses cooked chicken.
1 broiler-fryer chicken, cooked, skinned, boned, broken into pieces
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 clove garlic, halves
4 Yukon gold potatoes, sliced thin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup nonfat dairy sour cream
3/4 cup skim milk - divided use
1 small onion, minced
3 tablespoons chopped pimento
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons freshly grated Romano cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Mix broth with cooked chicken.
- Spray 2-quart shallow baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Rub dish with garlic halves; then mince garlic and place in small bowl. Add to garlic, sour cream, 1/4 cup of the milk, onion, pimento and mustard; stir to mix well.
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper.
- In prepared baking dish, place 1/3 of the potatoes; top with half of the chicken and half of the sour cream mixture. Repeat layers and then top with remaining 1/3 of the potatoes. Pour remaining 1/2 cup of milk all over; sprinkle with lemon juice and Romano cheese.
- Mix together butter and bread crumbs; spread all over.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 359; Protein: 28.2 grams; Total Fat: 8.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 2.2 grams; Carbohydrates: 41.6 grams; Cholesterol: 64 milligrams; Sodium: 464 milligrams.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.