Greek Baked Lemon Oregano Chicken
Greek-style, oregano-scented lemon chicken and potato casserole.
1 lemon, peel grated and reserved
4 chicken quarters
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/2 cup sliced celery
6 small new potatoes, halved
1/2 cup warm water
- Slice lemon in half; squeeze juice and reserve. Use lemon halves to rub all sides of chicken.
- Mix together oregano, salt and pepper; sprinkle over chicken.
- In large skillet, place olive oil and butter and heat over medium temperature. Add chicken, skin side down. Sprinkle celery and reserved lemon peel evenly over chicken. Cook about 5 minutes, turn chicken and cook 5 minutes more, until brown on all sides.
- Arrange chicken in lightly greased 2 quart baking dish. With slotted spoon, remove celery mixture from pan and arrange around chicken. Add potatoes around chicken.
- To skillet, add reserved lemon juice and water, stirring and scraping up pan drippings. Bring to a boil over high temperature; pour over chicken and potatoes.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 300°F (150°C) oven, basting occasionally with pan juices, for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.