Pasta with Chicken and Squash
Sautéed chicken, onion, zucchini and yellow summer squash served on a bed of fusilli tossed with a cheesy pepper Jack cream sauce.
1 (16-ounce) package fusilli (spiral) pasta
2 cups whipping cream
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups (8-ounces) shredded Pepper Jack cheese*
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
5 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil - divided use
2 medium zucchini, julienned
2 medium yellow summer squash, julienned
1 1/4 teaspoons salt - divided use
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon savory
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat cream and butter in a large saucepan until butter melts. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- Rinse and drain pasta; add to cheese mixture. Cover and keep warm.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons oil until onion is softened.
- Add squash; cook until tender. Add 1 teaspoon salt and season with pepper; remove and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to skillet; cook chicken with herbs and remaining salt until juices run clear.
- Place pasta on a serving platter; top with chicken and squash.
Makes 8 servings.
*Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese can be substituted for a milder flavor.