Tuscan Walnut Chicken
This terrific recipe for Tuscan Walnut Chicken was submitted by Judith Perkins of Scottsdale, Arizona.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 cup ground walnuts
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Fresh Pear Walnut Glaze (recipe follows)
2 tablespoons minced Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- With sharp knife, cut chicken breasts horizontally 3/4 way through meat. Open breasts, place between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound to uniform thickness.
- Divide cheese equally on half of each chicken breast; fold over opposite half and press edges together to seal.
- In shallow bowl, mix together egg whites, yogurt and lemon juice.
- In another shallow dish, mix together ground walnuts, nutmeg and salt.
- Dip chicken, one piece at a time, first in egg mixture and then in walnut mixture, turning to coat.
- Arrange chicken in shallow baking dish sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray; refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Place chicken in 350°F (175°C) oven and bake about 20 minutes or until fork can be inserted with ease.
- Place chicken breasts on individual serving plates and spoon on Fresh Pear Walnut Glaze. Garnish with pear slices and walnut halves; sprinkle with parsley.
Makes 4 servings.
Fresh Pear Walnut Glaze: In skillet over medium heat, place 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add 1/4 cup minced onion and 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup pear juice and 1/4 cup white wine; simmer 5 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, stirring and cooking about 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Add 1 cored and thinly sliced pear and 1/4 cup toasted walnut halves.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.