Cherry Bonbon Cookies
When fresh cherries aren't available you can use maraschino cherries instead, making it possible to offer this a terrific cookie anytime of the year! Makes a great holiday cookie, too.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cherry flavoring (optional)
48 sweet fresh cherries, pitted
1 (6-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Combine flour and cocoa; set aside.
- With electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and baking powder until blended. Add egg, vanilla and cherry flavoring; beat until well combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 1/2 -inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Press down center of each ball with thumb to create a small hollow; fill each center with a cherry.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In small pan over low heat, combine chocolate chips and condensed milk; heat until chocolate is melted. Spoon about 1 teaspoon chocolate mixture over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until done. Remove to wire racks and cool.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy Washington State Fruit Commission.