Gingerbread House Dough with Royal Icing
You will need a pattern for the house. You can design your own or purchase one in a kitchen specialty shop.
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup dark molasses
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Food Safety)
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar (4 cups)
Assorted food coloring
Assorted candies for decoration
- In medium bowl combine first 6 ingredients, mixing well. Set aside.
- In large bowl cream shortening and sugar with electric mixer until light
and fluffy. Add egg, molasses and vinegar; beating until smooth. Stir in flour mixture until just mixed.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured parchment paper to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Lay pattern pieces for house on dough and cut around them. Remove scraps and gently slide parchment paper with pieces of house onto baking sheet.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for about 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet 3 or 4 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- For Royal Icing: Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl at medium speed of an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add sugar, mixing well. Beat 5 to 7 minutes.
- Tint with desired food colors.
Makes 1 gingerbread house.
Note: Icing dries very quickly; keep covered at all times with plastic wrap.