Italian Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
Enjoy these dark chocolate biscotti—studded with chocolate chips and walnuts—with fresh brewed coffee or hot cocoa.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) butter, remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before use
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar, as needed
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar gradually with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and beat until well blended. Add flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Grease and flour a large baking sheet.
- With floured hands, form dough into two flattened logs, about 12-inches long and 2-inches wide. Place logs on baking sheet. Sprinkle each with powdered sugar.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven for 35 minutes or until tops are slightly firm to touch. Cool biscotti on sheets for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer biscotti with wide spatula to wooded cutting board. With a very sharp serrated knife or an electric knife, slice biscotti diagonally into 3/4 inch wide slices.
- Place biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and return to oven and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 30 biscotti.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.