A Peach of a Shortcake
A luscious creamy mascarpone cheese filling, sweetened with brown sugar, is spooned in and over cinnamon-scented shortcakes with fragrant, juicy peach slices.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup half-and-half
Sugar for sprinkling
2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
6 cups sliced peaches
- For Shortcakes: In large bowl, combine first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add half-and-half; mix gently until dough forms. Form into a ball.
- Transfer dough to floured surface; knead for 30 seconds. Pat dough into rectangle, 1/2 inch thick.
- Using 3 inch round cookie cutter, cut 12 biscuits, using all dough.
- Arrange biscuits on lightly greased cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool.
- For Filling: Combine Mascarpone cheese and brown sugar.
- To Serve: Split each biscuit and spread half with 1 tablespoon filling. Add layer of peaches and cover with other biscuit half. Top with dollop of filling; garnish with peach slices.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.