Caramelitas Rice Pudding
Creamy rice pudding baked in a mold atop caramelized sugar.
3 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk - divided use
1/3 plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine rice, 2 1/2 cups milk, 1/3 cup sugar and salt in saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 12 to 15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup milk to eggs. Stir into rice mixture. Add butter and vanilla.
- Pour 1/2 cup sugar into a heatproof loaf pan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and turns a golden color. Tilt pan frequently as sugar melts to coat sides thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- Spoon pudding into loaf pan. Cover and bake at 350°F (175°F) for 30 minutes. Cool.
- Unmold onto serving dish. Serve plain or with whipped cream.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.