A delicious holiday dessert, this eye-catching cheesecake—topped with bright red cranberry sauce—is a must-try.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel - divided use
3 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 teaspoon vanilla extract - divided use
3 large egg yolks - divided use
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
5 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups cranberries
- For Crust: Combine 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon lemon peel, and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl. Add 3/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1 egg yolk and softened butter; mix well and shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Press one-third of the dough over the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Remove the side of the pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove and cool, then attach the side of the pan. Press the remaining dough over the side of the pan to within 1-inch of the top. Place in refrigerator.
- Set oven to 500°F (260°C).
- In a mixing bowl, cream together 1 3/4 cups sugar and cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add remaining grated lemon peel, flour, vanilla and orange peel; mix well. Add eggs and remaining egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add cream and mix well. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 250°F (120°C) and bake for 1 hour longer. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Combine remaining sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add water and cranberries. Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Simmer for 2 minutes then remove heat and to cool. Spread over the cheesecake.
- Chill, covered, for 3 hours before removing the pan side and serving.
Makes 12 servings.