Hot Chocolate Soufflé
This light as a feather soufflé is a chocoholic's dream dessert.
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons butter
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
6 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
Vanilla ice cream
- Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Butter and sugar 5 (8-ounce) ramekins, set aside.
- Melt the chocolate with butter over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool until slightly warm.
- In a medium bowl beat together yolks with 2 tablespoons of sugar until pale yellow and thick. Stir in chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt at medium speed until frothy. Increase the speed to high and gradually add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat whites until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
- Stir one third of beaten whites into the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Evenly divide the batter among the prepared soufflé molds filling the molds three quarters of the way.
- Bake the soufflés immediately 12 to 15 minutes or until puffed and almost set. Serve immediately with chocolate sauce and/or vanilla ice cream.
Makes 5 servings.